CBS confirmed TAR33 is returning during the 2021-2022 season, and The Amazing Race 33 now appears to be filming, with stops in places including Switzerland and Greece.
On Survivor 41’s premiere, “A New Era,” some changes worked and some didn’t; others brought us closer to season one and some took us even farther away. And then there was Jeff Probst’s handling of “Come on in, guys.”
Alter Ego, Fox’s new reality competition, uses motion capture technology to allow contestants to perform as digital characters, but has an insufferable format and no reason for existing.
Fall reality TV is starting this week, and what’s ahead ranges from Dancing with the Stars to Masked Singer, Alter Ego to Legends of the Hidden Temple. Here are the shows I’m most looking forward to.
For Netflix’s reality TV competition Metal Shop Masters, someone took Blown Away, copied and pasted it, changed some details, and hoped we wouldn’t notice.
CBS has dumped its plans to air a five-episode competition reality show featuring activists and hosted by Usher, Priyanka Chopra Jonas, and Julianne Hough. The show, called The Activist, received a lot of criticism for its format.
The 2021 TCA Award winners have been announced, and the Television Critics Association’s honorees include Ted Lasso, Michaela Coel, Jean Smart, The Golden Girls, and two reality TV shows that tied in the category.
recent reality TV reviews
Other critics’ takes on reality TV
- Richard Brody’s list of “62 Films That Shaped the Art of Documentary Filmmaking”
- Michael Ordoña on The Challenge and its real-life drama
- Daniel D’Addario’s review of Paris Hilton’s new Netflix show
- Melanie McFarland on how HBO Max’s cheeky and addictive FBoy Island is calling out reality dating shows
- Emily Yahr on how Rachel Lindsay’s Bachelor revelations “could lead to meaningful change”
- Brittany Luse asks, “Why Am I Watching Married At First Sight Instead of Planning My Wedding?”
- Kate Aurthur on the Erika Jayne and Tom Girardi doc The Housewife and the Hustler
- Alissa Wilkinson on Mark Wahlberg’s new reality show
- Caroline Framke on David Attenborough as “Nature’s Voice of Reason”
- Margaret Lyons on “cheesy documentary reenactments”
- Nina Metz on documentary series’ unnecessary bloat
- Helen Rosner on Stanley Tucci and Searching for Italy
News from around the web
- Producers of reality TV are sharing their salaries and working conditions—and calling out both shows and production companies—on @nonfictionunite.
Ex On the Beach season 1 cast member Chris Pearson died after being stabbed
- Chopped Junior winner and Top Chef Junior contestant Fuller Goldsmith died at age 17. In February, the four-time cancer survivor announced that leukemia had returned.
- Bobby Flay will apparently leave Food Network after he and the network couldn’t come to contract renewal terms
- After Padma Lakshmi previously defended filming Top Chef in Texas, and Gail Simmons, Padma, and Tom Colicchio all participated in an abortion rights rally, and Gail spoke at the rally and said “you can imagine, I had mixed feelings” about filming Top Chef in Houston.
- Cynthia Bailey is leaving The Real Housewives of Atlanta
- Canada’s Drag Race judge Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman “found himself falling victim to the same kinds of machinations he’d been re-creating” on UnReal, a profile of him said.
- Alanis Morissette is the subject of a forthcoming HBO documentary that she now disavows
- The next Bachelor star is one of the men on Michelle’s forthcoming season