ding, dong, sit coms could be dead.Inside.com does the math, and the glut of reality TV and its low production costs doesn’t look good for sitcoms. And this is a problem?
National Post columnist: Survivor isn’t real. Glad we cleared that up.
an “accidental activist”? Danny, who someday wants to start his own travel service, says in an interview with The Advocate that he went on the show to dispel stereotypes about gay people.
Bill Maher: “It’s not real. Get wise, people. Get more cynical.” Making the Band‘s Bryan, centerfold Darva, Survivor‘s Ramona and Super Dave (!?) face off on PI.
recent reality TV reviews
Other critics’ takes on reality TV
- Richard Brody’s list of “62 Films That Shaped the Art of Documentary Filmmaking”
- Michael Ordoña on The Challenge and its real-life drama
- Daniel D’Addario’s review of Paris Hilton’s new Netflix show
- Melanie McFarland on how HBO Max’s cheeky and addictive FBoy Island is calling out reality dating shows
- Emily Yahr on how Rachel Lindsay’s Bachelor revelations “could lead to meaningful change”
- Brittany Luse asks, “Why Am I Watching Married At First Sight Instead of Planning My Wedding?”
- Kate Aurthur on the Erika Jayne and Tom Girardi doc The Housewife and the Hustler
- Alissa Wilkinson on Mark Wahlberg’s new reality show
- Caroline Framke on David Attenborough as “Nature’s Voice of Reason”
- Margaret Lyons on “cheesy documentary reenactments”
- Nina Metz on documentary series’ unnecessary bloat
- Helen Rosner on Stanley Tucci and Searching for Italy
News from around the web
- Producers of reality TV are sharing their salaries and working conditions—and calling out both shows and production companies—on @nonfictionunite.
Ex On the Beach season 1 cast member Chris Pearson died after being stabbed
- Chopped Junior winner and Top Chef Junior contestant Fuller Goldsmith died at age 17. In February, the four-time cancer survivor announced that leukemia had returned.
- Bobby Flay will apparently leave Food Network after he and the network couldn’t come to contract renewal terms
- After Padma Lakshmi previously defended filming Top Chef in Texas, and Gail Simmons, Padma, and Tom Colicchio all participated in an abortion rights rally, and Gail spoke at the rally and said “you can imagine, I had mixed feelings” about filming Top Chef in Houston.
- Cynthia Bailey is leaving The Real Housewives of Atlanta
- Canada’s Drag Race judge Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman “found himself falling victim to the same kinds of machinations he’d been re-creating” on UnReal, a profile of him said.
- Alanis Morissette is the subject of a forthcoming HBO documentary that she now disavows
- The next Bachelor star is one of the men on Michelle’s forthcoming season