even Big Brother’s slipping ratings have helped CBS.For the first time since the 1994 Olympics, CBS was on top in the 18 to 49 demo in the ratings, thanks to Survivor and Big Brother. That’s despite the fact that wondering “Will Karen run out of Kleenex?” is about the most interesting thing about Big Brother, …
what reality TV shows should learn from one another.Confession: I sort of wrote this piece for Salon.com. But hey, it’s still a good analysis of what these shows are doing right and what they still need to learn.
WB orders 13 episodes of Making the Band: the female version.The WB will enter the reality TV fray next January with a Making the Band clone. Popstars will follow the formation of an all-female pop band. Spice Girls, anyone?
spoiler: O-Town changes brewing on Making the Band.[spoiler: highlight to read] Although it’s obvious that Ikaika hasn’t had the easiest time on Making the Band, E! Online’s Wanda reports that will actually leave the band because of his overbearing brother’s influence. Plus, Wanda confirms that the remaining five pick one of the original 25–not Bryan …
Stacey, B.B. to star in Survivor-themed Reebok commercials. During tonight’s Survivor, the first commercial featuring an ex-castaway Stacey will air. And soon, B.B. will also hawk the island’s official footwear in a 30-second spot.
just wait: Big Brother will get better. In Ironminds, Pamela Ribon dissects the show, and is optimistic about its future, saying it “will get more popular” as cast members are kicked off.
recent reality TV reviews
Other critics’ takes on reality TV
- Richard Brody’s list of “62 Films That Shaped the Art of Documentary Filmmaking”
- Michael Ordoña on The Challenge and its real-life drama
- Daniel D’Addario’s review of Paris Hilton’s new Netflix show
- Melanie McFarland on how HBO Max’s cheeky and addictive FBoy Island is calling out reality dating shows
- Emily Yahr on how Rachel Lindsay’s Bachelor revelations “could lead to meaningful change”
- Brittany Luse asks, “Why Am I Watching Married At First Sight Instead of Planning My Wedding?”
- Kate Aurthur on the Erika Jayne and Tom Girardi doc The Housewife and the Hustler
- Alissa Wilkinson on Mark Wahlberg’s new reality show
- Caroline Framke on David Attenborough as “Nature’s Voice of Reason”
- Margaret Lyons on “cheesy documentary reenactments”
- Nina Metz on documentary series’ unnecessary bloat
- Helen Rosner on Stanley Tucci and Searching for Italy
News from around the web
- Producers of reality TV are sharing their salaries and working conditions—and calling out both shows and production companies—on @nonfictionunite.
Ex On the Beach season 1 cast member Chris Pearson died after being stabbed
- Chopped Junior winner and Top Chef Junior contestant Fuller Goldsmith died at age 17. In February, the four-time cancer survivor announced that leukemia had returned.
- Bobby Flay will apparently leave Food Network after he and the network couldn’t come to contract renewal terms
- After Padma Lakshmi previously defended filming Top Chef in Texas, and Gail Simmons, Padma, and Tom Colicchio all participated in an abortion rights rally, and Gail spoke at the rally and said “you can imagine, I had mixed feelings” about filming Top Chef in Houston.
- Cynthia Bailey is leaving The Real Housewives of Atlanta
- Canada’s Drag Race judge Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman “found himself falling victim to the same kinds of machinations he’d been re-creating” on UnReal, a profile of him said.
- Alanis Morissette is the subject of a forthcoming HBO documentary that she now disavows
- The next Bachelor star is one of the men on Michelle’s forthcoming season