there’s hope for Making the Band after all. Although it was pulled during sweeps month and is not on ABC’s fall schedule, The Orlando Sentinel says that Making the Band is a show ABC is “reluctant” to let go. + also: other reality TV shows, like one created by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, are …
bigbrotherblows.com goes blank after cease-and-desist order. Damn lawyers. It’s called “criticism” and “parody.” (spoiler warning: this story also contains info about the alleged winner as revealed by the images on CBS’ Web site.)
spoilers? everyone’s predicting Survivor’s winner. From people analyzing the CBS Web site gaffe to an Atlanta firm that is “staking [their] corporate necks” on their prediction, everyone’s got a guess. And they’re all different, too.
news station’s union wants Survivor plugs stopped. A Kansas City chapter of American Federation of Television and Radio Artists filed a complaint on behalf of the CBS affiliates’ on-air talent, who are sick of “shameless” Survivor updates.
coming soon: handcuffs and high school. Upcoming reality TV shows include FOX’s American High, which follows a group of Chicago high school students for a year, and Bunim-Murray’s Go New York, about journalists putting together a Web magazine.
is Josh gay? Under the headline, “Hunk In A Bunk: Big Brother hears that Josh may be keeping a secret,” an article on Big Brother‘s official Web site speculates that the house might have a gay or bisexual person after all. The evidence: Curtis (why Curtis?) reported in the Red Room that Josh “recently came …
Gretchen chats about alliances, conflict and the cow incident.In an MSN chat, Gretchen gives the details about life on the island, and also tells us to not “be so critical of the people on there. They really are a wonderful bunch of people.”
recent reality TV reviews
Other critics’ takes on reality TV
- Richard Brody’s list of “62 Films That Shaped the Art of Documentary Filmmaking”
- Michael Ordoña on The Challenge and its real-life drama
- Daniel D’Addario’s review of Paris Hilton’s new Netflix show
- Melanie McFarland on how HBO Max’s cheeky and addictive FBoy Island is calling out reality dating shows
- Emily Yahr on how Rachel Lindsay’s Bachelor revelations “could lead to meaningful change”
- Brittany Luse asks, “Why Am I Watching Married At First Sight Instead of Planning My Wedding?”
- Kate Aurthur on the Erika Jayne and Tom Girardi doc The Housewife and the Hustler
- Alissa Wilkinson on Mark Wahlberg’s new reality show
- Caroline Framke on David Attenborough as “Nature’s Voice of Reason”
- Margaret Lyons on “cheesy documentary reenactments”
- Nina Metz on documentary series’ unnecessary bloat
- Helen Rosner on Stanley Tucci and Searching for Italy
News from around the web
- Producers of reality TV are sharing their salaries and working conditions—and calling out both shows and production companies—on @nonfictionunite.
Ex On the Beach season 1 cast member Chris Pearson died after being stabbed
- Chopped Junior winner and Top Chef Junior contestant Fuller Goldsmith died at age 17. In February, the four-time cancer survivor announced that leukemia had returned.
- Bobby Flay will apparently leave Food Network after he and the network couldn’t come to contract renewal terms
- After Padma Lakshmi previously defended filming Top Chef in Texas, and Gail Simmons, Padma, and Tom Colicchio all participated in an abortion rights rally, and Gail spoke at the rally and said “you can imagine, I had mixed feelings” about filming Top Chef in Houston.
- Cynthia Bailey is leaving The Real Housewives of Atlanta
- Canada’s Drag Race judge Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman “found himself falling victim to the same kinds of machinations he’d been re-creating” on UnReal, a profile of him said.
- Alanis Morissette is the subject of a forthcoming HBO documentary that she now disavows
- The next Bachelor star is one of the men on Michelle’s forthcoming season