ding, dong, sit coms could be dead.Inside.com does the math, and the glut of reality TV and its low production costs doesn’t look good for sitcoms. And this is a problem?
National Post columnist: Survivor isn’t real. Glad we cleared that up.
an “accidental activist”? Danny, who someday wants to start his own travel service, says in an interview with The Advocate that he went on the show to dispel stereotypes about gay people.
Bill Maher: “It’s not real. Get wise, people. Get more cynical.” Making the Band‘s Bryan, centerfold Darva, Survivor‘s Ramona and Super Dave (!?) face off on PI.
Other critics’ takes on reality TV
- Shamira Ibrahim on The Real Housewives of Atlanta Bolo leak
- Sarah D. Bunting on Hulu’s Sasquatch
- Dan Fienberg on Oscar-winning documentary My Octopus Teacher: “a true embarrassment that this is the kind of dreck the Academy put in the documentary field”
- Alissa Wilkinson on Mark Wahlberg’s new reality show
- Caroline Framke on David Attenborough as “Nature’s Voice of Reason”
- Margaret Lyons on “cheesy documentary reenactments”
- Nina Metz on documentary series’ unnecessary bloat
- Helen Rosner on Stanley Tucci and Searching for Italy
- Melanie McFarland on Marriage or Morgage and its “bad decisions”
- Caroline Framke on “How Hollywood is complicit in the violence against Asians in America”
- Josef Adalian on Paramount+’s nostalgia strategy
- David Ansen on the “groundbreaking documentary movies” of the past year
News from around the web
- Love Island UK executive says “we want to encourage greater inclusivity and diversity” but having gay islanders is a “logistical difficulty”
- Bachelor in Paradise will rotate through celebrity comedians as hosts instead of Chris Harrison
- Judge Judy is ending after 25 seasons, but Judith Sheindlin says her new show will be the same: “I do what I do”
- The 2020-2021 TV ratings have The Masked Singer tied for the #1 non-sports show
- The Jeopardy! guest hosts (so far) ranked by ratings
- In Australia, “Bachelorette Brooke Blurton makes television history as the show’s first Indigenous, bisexual star”. Do better, ABC!
- Mark “The Beast” Labbett is returning to The Chase for its second season on ABC.
- Top Chef Family Style is back in production after its crew went on strike; they now have a union contract
- HGTV is bringing back Cash in the Attic
- How much does an HGTV host get per episode? $3,500 for the host of Windy City Rehab, who’s suing the show for $2.2 million.
- The Real Housewives of Dallas star Dr. Tiffany Moon is fighting back against racist bullying from her co-star’s family
- Are You The One? season 5 cast members say the show was rigged by producers
- American Idol finalist Caleb Kennedy is out as a result of a “racist social media post”
- Matt James and Rachael Kirkconnell are back together even though they split after The Bachelor
- Britney Spears on the documentaries about her: “Why highlight the most negative and traumatizing times in my life from forever ago?”
- Former TLC star Josh Duggar was “indicted on charges of receiving and possessing child pornography”
- Why music licenses are such a problem in the streaming era
- A new trend in documentary filmmaking
- RuPaul’s Drag Race “contestants are spending anywhere from $4,000 on the low end to upwards of $20,000 on the higher end” just to compete on the show