The Real World is no 1900 House. WKSU’s Ann VerWiebe compares PBS’ Real-World-in-1900 show with MTV’s original, and decides that PBS’ entry is a lot more real, especially when it comes to the issues the family faced in the antique home.
Big Brother’s ratings drop, but still not bad for CBS. The Saturday night recap ep of Big Brother had lower ratings than previous nights, but it still did well with a 2.5 share. Early ratings show it just edged out the last NBC airing of Freaks and Geeks, which is just wrong.
Moore: reality TV is “TV’s newest rage”. The AP’s Frazier Moore churns out a predictable column with two shocking revelations: reality TV is just the latest trend, and–hold your breath–it’s not really “reality.”
on Pulau Tiga, the body odor was like “hot garbage.” So says Ramona, and I’ll take her word on that. She and the rest of the booted talk to People about constipation, hate mail, hunger and odors. Plus, B.B. says he didn’t “have the energy to be phony” and still doesn’t know why washing his …
miss a show last week? Recaps from last week are live and drenched in sarcasm. Rock on. MTVixen Jill goes off on episode four of The Real World with her killer storytelling flair (Jamie made out with “a stray dog” and the Village People!); both MightyBigTV and Student.Com’s minute-by-minute wrap-ups are a bit more truthful …
Other critics’ takes on reality TV
- Tara Ariano on Fox’s Cherries Wild and its “witless game play”
- Josef Adalian on Paramount+’s nostalgia strategy
- David Ansen on the “groundbreaking documentary movies” of the past year
- Kevin Fallon on how Tamron Hall’s interview with “admitted sexual predator Sherry Pie became a meditation on scandal”
- Daniel D’Addario on How American Idol used Claudia Conway
- Robert Daniels says “FX’s Hip Hop Uncovered rambles without saying much about the genre”
- Sarah D. Bunting on Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel and its “new take on the genre”
News from around the web
- Rachel Lindsay Deletes Instagram Following Harassment From Bachelor Nation
- BBCAN removed houseguest Ethan before the game started
- America’s Got Talent season 1 semifinalist David Maas, half of the “Quick Change” act, has died
- Bravo’s Winter House is being filmed with Summer House and Southern Charm cast
- “I had a massive parasite the whole time I was on” Bachelor Ben Higgins said
- Hilary Farr is getting her own HGTV series, in addition to Love It Or List It
- Ryan Seacrest won’t host E!’s red carpet coverage any more
- Worst Cooks in America season 20 winner Ariel Robinson was arrested and “charged with homicide by child abuse” of a three-year-old
Survivor’s Stephen Fishbach published a short story about, as he described it, “a has-been reality TV contestant at a reality TV charity event.” You can read it on Kindle or in the literary magazine One Story.