Updated with an answer from Phil Keoghan about why Mikey “Eyebrows” exited. Two players left Tough As Nails between its second and third episodes—Tara and Mikey—which is highly unusual for a show that doesn’t actually send any players home.
Paramount+ announced its original reality shows today, including revivals of Road Rules, Ink Master, and Dating Naked. Meanwhile, RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars will leave VH1 and join a new drag singing competition on the streaming service formerly known as CBS All Access.
It’s been seven years since HGTV aired Design Star, and the show’s return, as Design Star: Next Gen, is a vast improvement over its predecessor, though it will only be on Discovery+ after the premiere.
Fox’s Name That Tune returned earlier this year, with a full, real studio audience! I talked to its executive producer about everything from filming in Australia to casting Jane Krakowski and Randy Jackson to updating a classic game show and its rules.
ABC’s summertime mini golf competition Holey Moley will be back for at least two more seasons, while its producers are now adapting the classic 1980s video game Frogger into a reality competition.
In my interview with new-ish Magical Elves CEOs Jo Sharon and Casey Kriley, they talked about their vision for the company, developing shows like Netflix’s Nailed It and Best Leftovers Ever, and what TV networks want production companies to pitch to them.
This week’s dozen reality TV premieres include Tim Allen and Richard Karn’s new competition Assembly Required and the return of HGTV Design Star—though it won’t be on HGTV.
Other critics’ takes on reality TV
- Tara Ariano on Fox’s Cherries Wild and its “witless game play”
- Josef Adalian on Paramount+’s nostalgia strategy
- David Ansen on the “groundbreaking documentary movies” of the past year
- Kevin Fallon on how Tamron Hall’s interview with “admitted sexual predator Sherry Pie became a meditation on scandal”
- Daniel D’Addario on How American Idol used Claudia Conway
- Robert Daniels says “FX’s Hip Hop Uncovered rambles without saying much about the genre”
- Sarah D. Bunting on Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel and its “new take on the genre”
News from around the web
- Rachel Lindsay Deletes Instagram Following Harassment From Bachelor Nation
- BBCAN removed houseguest Ethan before the game started
- America’s Got Talent season 1 semifinalist David Maas, half of the “Quick Change” act, has died
- Bravo’s Winter House is being filmed with Summer House and Southern Charm cast
- “I had a massive parasite the whole time I was on” Bachelor Ben Higgins said
- Hilary Farr is getting her own HGTV series, in addition to Love It Or List It
- Ryan Seacrest won’t host E!’s red carpet coverage any more
- Worst Cooks in America season 20 winner Ariel Robinson was arrested and “charged with homicide by child abuse” of a three-year-old
Survivor’s Stephen Fishbach published a short story about, as he described it, “a has-been reality TV contestant at a reality TV charity event.” You can read it on Kindle or in the literary magazine One Story.