While Karlie Kloss hasn’t been missed as host of Project Runway season 19, the season began with drama and now is struggling to find its footing, with odd judging and some contestants who can’t quite handle the challenges.
Jeff Probst allowed the players to negotiate with him repeatedly in Survivor 41’s first post-merge episode, including another whisper-fest of a Tribal Council. What can I offer to get those to stop?
Amazing Race 33’s premiere will kick off the new year, while Survivor will have its latest premiere ever when it returns for season 42 this spring, and Celebrity Big Brother 3 will air opposite both the Olympics and the Super Bowl.
In this edition of Ask Andy, I answer a reader’s questions about some behind-the-scenes things, and explain why comments are back and where they went.
Netflix has made its own version of American Pickers and Pawn Stars, using a call-in radio show, Swap Shop, as an excuse to watch pairs of pickers look at stuff.
Holiday Baking Championship 2021 has offered me a lot of what I’m missing from The Great British Baking Show the past few years, and also is just a welcome presence on my TV every November and December.
In her exit interviews, Survivor 41 cast member Sydney Segal said that Danny McCray told Jeff Probst that the hourglass twist was “a lie,” and that led to “a long conversation” during which Probst asked them for their help.
recent reality TV reviews
Other critics’ takes on reality TV
- Morgan Jenkins on the “mean-girl dynamics of Selling Sunset“
- Megan Garber on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives‘ “rallying cry for a country that is losing touch with itself”
- Melanie McFarland on Paris Hilton’s “struggles with her engineered image”
- Megan Garber on how reality TV “got obsessed with disguise”
- Joe Reid on the ‘legitimately helpful’ Sex, Love & Goop
- Richard Brody’s list of “62 Films That Shaped the Art of Documentary Filmmaking”
- Michael Ordoña on The Challenge and its real-life drama
- Daniel D’Addario’s review of Paris Hilton’s new Netflix show
- Melanie McFarland on how HBO Max’s cheeky and addictive FBoy Island is calling out reality dating shows
- Emily Yahr on how Rachel Lindsay’s Bachelor revelations “could lead to meaningful change”
- Brittany Luse asks, “Why Am I Watching Married At First Sight Instead of Planning My Wedding?”
- Kate Aurthur on the Erika Jayne and Tom Girardi doc The Housewife and the Hustler
- Alissa Wilkinson on Mark Wahlberg’s new reality show
- Caroline Framke on David Attenborough as “Nature’s Voice of Reason”
- Margaret Lyons on “cheesy documentary reenactments”
- Nina Metz on documentary series’ unnecessary bloat
- Helen Rosner on Stanley Tucci and Searching for Italy
News from around the web
- Producers of reality TV are sharing their salaries and working conditions—and calling out both shows and production companies—on @nonfictionunite.
Ex On the Beach season 1 cast member Chris Pearson died after being stabbed
- Chopped Junior winner and Top Chef Junior contestant Fuller Goldsmith died at age 17. In February, the four-time cancer survivor announced that leukemia had returned.
- Bobby Flay will apparently leave Food Network after he and the network couldn’t come to contract renewal terms
- After Padma Lakshmi previously defended filming Top Chef in Texas, and Gail Simmons, Padma, and Tom Colicchio all participated in an abortion rights rally, and Gail spoke at the rally and said “you can imagine, I had mixed feelings” about filming Top Chef in Houston.
- Cynthia Bailey is leaving The Real Housewives of Atlanta
- Canada’s Drag Race judge Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman “found himself falling victim to the same kinds of machinations he’d been re-creating” on UnReal, a profile of him said.
- Alanis Morissette is the subject of a forthcoming HBO documentary that she now disavows
- The next Bachelor star is one of the men on Michelle’s forthcoming season