Less than a week after PBS aired its final episode of The Great British Baking Show, Netflix announced that it has picked up the Channel 4 version of the series, and will broadcast at least three new seasons of The Great British Bake-Off.
The UK’s season eight—the first without Mary Berry, Mel, and Sue—will premiere Aug. 31. Netflix will also air the season that just concluded on PBS, which is GBBO season 3. (Refer to this updated guide of Great British Bake-Off seasons to see which season is airing when and where.)
The first Channel 4 season—which was the eighth season overall—debuted last fall.
Netflix also said that it will have GBBO season nine (“later this year”) and season 10 (in the fall of 2019), and will broadcast two-episode holiday specials for the next three years. And it will continue to stream the seasons that have aired on PBS.
There are still two seasons of the original Mary Berry version of the show—UK seasons 1 and 2—that have not aired in the U.S. PBS has no plans to air them, and Netflix’s announcement has no mention of them, either.
To add to season-labeling confusion, Netflix is now calling its seasons “Netflix collection X,” though at least X matches the season numbers that PBS was using.
Netflix’s Great British Baking Show recipe
Netflix revealed all of this in a charming press release that was structured as a recipe, and is too cute not to include.
I especially appreciate the “Let cool after airing on Channel 4 in the UK” line, which indicates that Netflix won’t have new seasons available immediately, just like what happened with PBS.
Here’s Netflix’s press release:
Serves: 3 new seasons of The Great British Baking Show available in the US only on Netflix
- 12 grams of amateur bakers
- 10 rounds of competition
- 2 presenters, Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig
- 2 judges, Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith
- 1 UK broadcaster, Channel 4
- Baked with love by Love Productions, with star bakers/executive producers Anna Beattie and Richard McKerrow
- A dash of Netflix
- Pre-heat Netflix with 4 previous seasons (Netflix collections 1-4, which are UK seasons 4-7)
- Mix equal measures bakers, presenters, judges, and British decorum in the Baking Show tent
- Repeat signature, technical, and showstopper challenges until a star baker emerges
- Let cool after airing on Channel 4 in the UK
- Serve 10 new episodes at once on Netflix in the US on August 31, 2018 (Netflix collection 5, which is UK season 8)
- Assemble 10 additional new episodes to be served later this year (Netflix collection 6, which is UK season 9) and in fall 2019 (Netflix collection 7, which is UK season 10)
- Drizzle remaining dough with cheer for 2-episode holiday specials set to debut on Netflix in the US each holiday season in 2018, 2019, and 2020
- Best enjoyed cozied up on the couch with butter, jam, and clotted cream