The Great British Bake-Off ended its first Channel 4, non-BBC season Tuesday night, but the morning before the finale aired, new judge Prue Leith revealed the winner on Twitter. Despite that error, she and the show’s two new hosts, plus returning judge Paul Hollywood, will all return for another season on Channel 4.
What Prue tweeted—and later deleted—seemed innocuous until its last word, which I’ve redacted here:
“No one told me judging a #gbbo final would be so emotional. I wanted them all to win. Bravo [winner’s name].
“I am so sorry to the fans of the show for my mistake this morning, I am in a different time zone and mortified by my error,” she later tweeted.
She told the Press Association in an interview, “I’m in Bhutan. The time difference is massive. I thought that they got it six hours ago. I’m in too much of a state to talk about it. I fucked up.”
How did the show do at its new home and with its new cast?
Fewer people watched GBBO this season, compared to its last season on BBC, but the Tuesday night finale was “Channel 4’s biggest overnight performance in five years,” the network said in a press release, which said the episode had “a massive 7.7 million viewers and a 34.6% share of audience.”
As The Guardian reports, those ratings “confirm Bake Off as a success for Channel 4 after its controversial £75m purchase of the programme,” but “[t]he audience is smaller than the number of people who tuned in for Bake Off on BBC1, with an average of 10.7 million watching each episode in last year’s series.”