The Amazing Race season 30 began filming midday today in New York City, and has returned to casting pre-existing couples, abandoning the strangers-paired-at-the-start format it tried for season 29—a format I loved and thought revitalized the show.
Teams are being identified at Reality Fan Forum, and season 30 is not an all-star season with returning contestants, but it also does not appear to include fans or regular people.
Instead, the teams seem to be people who have pre-existing fame, though they are not exactly household names. CBS previously announced that Big Brother cast members’s Cody Nickson and Jessica Graf would be one of the teams, because the network enjoys cross-promoting and making money off of bigotry.
The start line was in Manhattan’s Washington Square Park—specifically, 5th Ave and Waverly Place, the Washington Square Arch. The show once again invited fans to watch.
The Amazing Race 30 teams
Here are the 11 teams competing this season; a common theme between them seems to be competition:
- Indianapolis 500 winner Alexander Rossi and race car driver Conor Daly
- American Ninja Warrior contestants April Gould and Sarah Williams
- former NBA players Shawn Marion and Cedric Ceballos, who not-so-subtly disappeared from social media
- competitive eaters Tim Janus and Joey Chestnut
- Yale Debate Team members Henry Zhang and Evan Lynack
- Trevor Wadleigh and Christopher Marchant, violinists who are part of the quartet Well-Strung
- lifeguards Brittany Austin and Lucas Bocanegra
- professional skiers Kristi Leskinen and Jen Hudak
- firefighters and twins Eric and Daniel Guiffreda
- models Kayla Fitzgerald and Dessie Mitcheson
- Big Brother’s Cody Nickson and Jessica Graf
Updates: This story was updated Oct. 3 with the full list of teams, as identified by Reality Fan Forum.