PBS released a trailer for the return of The Great British Baking Show, which is less than two weeks away now, and it was both thrilling and a little chilling.
Let’s start with the bad news:
- The trailer starts with Mary Berry saying, “I’m expecting the unexpected,” which is the same tired cliche that Big Brother U.S. has made its trademark. The mere use of Big Brother’s phrase on one of the best reality TV shows ever sent me into convulsions, because comparing the two show would be like comparing a slice of chocolate cake to a cow patty—a cow patty that’d been shat on by a bird, and run over by a truck, and mixed with a squished armadillo, and baked in the sun for three days, and infested by maggots.
- While this is season four for PBS, it’s actually the seventh season to air in the UK—which is the very last season that will feature all the judges and hosts, since three of the four quit last year after the show moved to Channel 4. So, it’s sad knowing this is the last time the gang was together.
But here’s the good news:
- There are two episodes airing on June 16, both “Cake” and “Biscuits.” Back to back Baking Show!
- Another season is coming to PBS sometime in the near future. It’ll be either GBBO season one, two, or three, which means it will have Mel, Sue, Mary, and Paul.
- It’s The Great British Baking Show, so it’s sure to be completely awesome and a totally delightful addition to our summers. If you haven’t watched, now is the time to get on board. (Or now: Catch up by watching online—all three seasons to air on PBS are currently available, including via PBS’ Passport.)
- There’s lots of charm in the trailer: