The announcement of the Big Brother 18 cast that was supposed to come today and be live for feed watchers has been cancelled, with interviews released Tuesday afternoon instead. CBS said the delay was because of the massacre of 50 people at a gay club in Orlando early Sunday morning.
On Friday, CBS sent a press release promising that, “For the second year, CBS All Access will give subscribers the opportunity to meet the Houseguests before anyone else via a live stream of their first press junket interviews on June 13.”
The cancellation was announced via social media. On Facebook at 7:30 a.m. ET, CBS said:
Big Brother fans: In light of the recent tragedy in Orlando, #MeetTheHGsLive will not be streamed live today. Cast interviews will be available to CBS All Access subscribers Tuesday at 4pm ET/1pm PT. We appreciate your understanding.
Early Monday morning, at 12:15 a.m. ET, show’s official Twitter account posted a message using the hashtag that had been used to promote the live event:
#MeetTheHGsLive will not be streamed live tomorrow. Cast interviews will be available Tue 4pm ET/1pm PT to #CBSAllAccess subscribers.
The wording “available” suggests that interviews won’t be live, so they could possibly be taped today or tomorrow.
The attention of the nation and world Sunday was on the deadliest mass shooting in United States history, which killed more than 50 people.
Sunday night, CBS broadcast the Tony Awards live, with Big Brother host Julie Chen and her husband Les Moonves, CBS’ CEO, in the audience.