New details emerged late last week about the death of Food Network Star contestant Cristie Schoen Codd, who was pregnant, and her husband JT.
- The man charged with the murders, Robert James Owens, admitted he “stored and destroyed” the bodies in a wood stove.
- Owens admitted hitting and killing JT with a truck, but Cristie’s cause of death is unknown, the Citizen-Times reported, citing search warrants.
- The medical examiner said identifying remains “may take a little bit of time.”
- Owens was arrested after police received a call about “suspicious dumping” late Sunday; large garbage bags included some of Cristie’s belongings. Owens admitted stealing things from the JT and Cristie’s home, and he was arrested after his home was searched related to the break-in.
- A friend of the Codds has text messages that may offer details; he told WOLS that JT missed drinks with him last Wednesday. Later, the friend said he “got this text that looked like it came from Cristie. But it was not her phraseology. It didn’t sound like her. And I believe it was someone else sending the text.”
- Buncombe County’s sheriff held a press conference Friday afternoon, but “would not talk about a motive for the killings.”
- A detailed account of Robert Owens’ “frequent run-ins with law enforcement.”