NBC’s Love in the Wild is nowhere near Survivor or The Bachelor in terms of quality, drama, narrative, or character, and is really mostly a rip-off of Paradise Hotel‘s format of couples pairing up and switching off with so-so challenges thrown in to add some adventure, although the oddly fake-looking visual appearance (like I’m a Celebrity, it looks like it was filmed on a soundstage, and everyone seems to be wearing makeup and have dramatic lighting) takes away most of the consequence and lets us focus on uncomfortable things like forced kissing–but the cast offers some ridiculousness that could eventually make the series fun, if we didn’t have Big Brother coming up to offer all the ridiculousness summer can handle.
about reality blurred
I’m Andy Dehnart, a writer who obsessively and critically covers reality TV, focusing on how it’s made and what it means.
I created reality blurred 20 years ago as a place to collect interesting links I found. Today, I review and recommend reality shows, documentaries, and nonfiction entertainment; analyze news and report from behind the scenes; and interview people who create and star in reality TV shows. You'll also find other people's insightful takes on reality TV in these pages, too.
I believe pop culture can both entertain and affect us, and so reality blurred's goal is to amplify the best and hold the worst accountable. In other words, I’m here to call it out when it sucks and celebrate it when it’s amazing. Let’s talk about it together!
- Survivor 41’s ‘insane’ new advantage and paranoia-filled vote / October 20, 2021
- Life Below Zero: Port Protection’s Gary Muehlberger died in a house fire / March 24, 2021
- Life Below Zero: Next Generation changes its cast, will premiere after Life Below Zero’s new season / August 10, 2021
- Alter Ego is a dud: Fox fails again to replicate The Masked Singer’s magic / September 22, 2021
- Bar Rescue pirate bar Piratz Tavern closing; blames “staged” show / April 3, 2015