Acerbic Top Chef judge Toby Young has responded to criticism of his criticism by promising he’ll tone down his judging for the show’s sixth season. Toby told the New York Daily News that he observed Tom Colicchio’s “authority” and “I took my cue from him and just ended up taking the judging process much more seriously,” and also noted that “the role of a judge on British reality shows is to be outrageous and controversial and funny,” but later realized “that it isn’t really the role for judges on American reality shows, and ‘Top Chef’ in particular, because it’s such a highly regarded reality show and the viewers are so passionate. … Now in Season 6 I realize what a huge influence ‘Top Chef’ is in America, and in the American food industry, and I try to be a little more measured.” He also promises, “I tried to take [the contestants’] feelings into consideration and be a little less brutal.”
about reality blurred
I’m Andy Dehnart, a writer who obsessively and critically covers reality TV, focusing on how it’s made and what it means.
I created reality blurred 20 years ago as a place to collect interesting links I found. Today, I review and recommend reality shows, documentaries, and nonfiction entertainment; analyze news and report from behind the scenes; and interview people who create and star in reality TV shows. You'll also find other people's insightful takes on reality TV in these pages, too.
I believe pop culture can both entertain and affect us, and so reality blurred's goal is to amplify the best and hold the worst accountable. In other words, I’m here to call it out when it sucks and celebrate it when it’s amazing. Let’s talk about it together!
- CBS is trashing an already-filmed competition reality show / September 15, 2021
- NBC’s America’s Got Talent $1 million is actually worth $25,000 a year / August 3, 2007
- Life Below Zero: Next Generation changes its cast, will premiere after Life Below Zero’s new season / August 10, 2021
- Big Brother’s Cookout alliance of Black players has succeeded. That’s awesome, not racist. / September 9, 2021
- One of four brothers who got a Shark Tank investment died earlier this year / October 18, 2013