summer reality lineups unveiled.
With all the big shows ending this week and next week, what will we occupy our evenings with? Dramas and comedies? Ick. The networks are rolling out a ton of new shows for this summer to make sure we stay indoors and stay free of skin cancer. Here’s a rundown of what’s on tap for the summer–and a look ahead to fall (check back regularly for additions):
- Kept, Jerry Hall looks for for someone to hang out with her for a year [VH1, May 29, Sundays at 9 p.m.]
- Strip Search, a competition to find seven male strippers [VH1, May 29, Sundays at 10 p.m.]
- Hell’s Kitchen, sort of like The Apprentice set in a kitchen [FOX, May 30, 9 p.m.]
- Beauty and the Geek: Ashton Kutcher’s Average Joe-like series [The WB, June 1, 8 p.m.]
- Dancing with the Stars: stars embarrass themselves trying to learn how to dance [ABC, June 1, 9 p.m.]
- Sports Kids Moms & Dads: child abuse as entertainment [Bravo, June 1, 10 p.m.]
- Hit Me Baby One More Time: washed-up stars compete for a second chance [NBC, June 2, Thursdays at 9 p.m.]
- The Scholar: high school kids compete for a scholarship [ABC, June 6, 8 p.m.]
- Fire Me, Please: People do their best to get fired; an import of a UK show called Sack Race [CBS, June 7, 9 p.m.]
- Blow Out 2: more from the salon [Bravo, June 7, 9 p.m.]
- Queer Eye for the Straight Guy: a new season begins [Bravo, June 7, 10 p.m.]
- The Real Gilligan’s Island 2: more castaways head to an island [TBS, June 8, 9 p.m.]
- The Cut: Tommy Hilfiger’s Project Runway-like series [CBS, June 9, Thursdays at 8 p.m.]
- 30 Days: Super-Size Me’s Morgan Spurlock gives people 30 days to experience something new [FX, June 15, Wednesdays at 10 p.m.]
- I Want to be a Hilton: Kathy Hilton trains more brats how to be socialites [NBC, June 21, Thursdays at 8 p.m.]
- The Real World Austin: more hot bodies to cast on the Challenge shows [MTV, June 21, 10 p.m.]
- Average Joe 4: subtitled “the Joes Strike Back” [NBC, June 28, 8 p.m.]
- Being Bobby Brown: eight episodes of Whitney and Bobby [Bravo, June 30, 10 p.m.]
- Cowboy U: Texas: eight “city clickers” try to live like cowboys [CMT, July 1, 8 p.m.]
- The ’70s House: The Real World, set 30 years ago [MTV, July 5, Tuesdays at 10:30 p.m.]
- Big Brother 6: Idiots in a house [CBS, Thursday, July 7, 8 p.m.]
- The Surreal Life 5: more celebs try to resurrect their careers [ABC, July 10, Sundays at 9]
- Hogan Knows Best: Terrence Gene Bollea gets The Osbournes treatment [VH1, July 10, Sundays at 10]
- Welcome to the Neighborhood: families compete to move into a house and are judged by their neighbors [ABC, cancelled]
- Rock Star: INXS: Mark Burnett’s series that will find INXS a lead singer, and air three times per week [CBS, July 11, 9 p.m.]
- The Amazing Race 1: the first season repeats daily [GSN, July 11, every day at 9 p.m.]
- Brat Camp: kids go to boot camp [ABC, July 13]
- Survivor: the first season is back on the air [Outdoor Life Network, July 24]
- Laguna Beach: the second season of “the real OC” [MTV, July 25, Mondays at 10 p.m.]
- R U the Girl with T-Boz & Chilli: TLC looks for a third band member [UPN, July 27, Wednesdays at 8]
- The Law Firm: David E. Kelley’s courtroom competition series [NBC, July 28, Thursdays at 8 p.m.]
- Meet Mister Mom: men compete to manage their homes when their wives leave [NBC, Aug. 2, Tuesdays at 8 p.m.]
- Tommy Lee Goes to College: self-explanatory [NBC, Aug. 16, Tuesdays at 9 p.m.]
- The Biggest Loser 2: The weight-loss phenom [NBC, Sept. 13, Tuesdays at 8 p.m.]
At the upfronts this week, TV networks announced their fall line-ups. Laurel’s TV Picks has an incredible fall TV grid that gives a rundown of each network’s weekly schedule, noting time changes and new shows. Highlights of reality-related shows airing this fall:
- FOX has no reality TV shows on its fall schedule, although come January, it will pull out the machete that is American Idol and hack the competition to death.
- The Apprentice 4 and The Apprentice: Martha Stewart will air concurrently, with Martha airing Wednesdays at 8 and Donald staying on Thursdays at 9.
- Fear Factor will delayed until midseason, or until some other show gets canned.
- ABC’s Wife Swap moves to Mondays at 8 while Supernanny moves to Fridays at 8.
- The following shows stay in their normal timeslots: The Amazing Race 8, America’s Next Top Model 5 [UPN], American Idol 5 [FOX, January], The Bachelor 8 [ABC, January], Extreme Makeover: Home Edition [ABC], and Survivor Guatemala [CBS].
- Reality shows that aren’t on the fall (or midseason) schedule and thus appear to be cancelled include: American Candidate [Showtime], The Benefactor [ABC], Big Man On Camps [The WB], The Complex: Malibu [FOX], The Contender [NBC], High School Reunion [The WB], Last Comic Standing [NBC], Manhunt [Bravo], Queer Eye for the Straight Girl [Bravo], The Road To Stardom with Missy Elliott [UPN], The Starlet [The WB], Who’s Your Daddy [FOX], Wickedly Perfect [CBS], and The Will [CBS].