past reality TV show cast members can earn $500 to $30,000 per appearance.
There’s a reason we call them reality whores: former cast members make a ton of cash. The New York Times discusses the “strange celebrity netherworld” that some former cast members live in, and in the process reveals a number of fascinating pieces of information about how much money they make. Highlights:
- Road Rules Campus Crawl star Rachel Robinson said she “has been doing about 10 appearances a month for the past three years, speaking mostly at colleges about sexual and ethnic diversity,” and for these has received “$2,000 to $3,000 a gig,” the paper reports. Doing a little rough math, even at just $2K, that’s $20,000 a month and $240,000 a year–and that’s $720,000 over three years. She’s 22.
- Jonny “Fairplay said he earned $95,000 for” his third-place finish on Survivor Pearl Islands. He also had “club gigs that he did nearly every weekend for a year at $7,500 a shot.”
- Darva Conger received $35,000 for appearing on Celebrity Boxing II.
- Former reality show cast members earn “fees of $500 to $30,000 for appearing at shopping centers, nightclubs, resorts, colleges or corporate conferences.”
- The NYT’s Damian Cave reports that original Bachelor loser Alex Michel “said he would only be interviewed if he was identified as a spokesman for Match.com. (Then he canceled because of ‘work responsibilities.’)”
- Toni Ferrrari “has been called in to provide commentary on Fox Reality for rebroadcasts of Love Cruise. (But what about Paradise Hotel?) Also, Toni “has been laughed out of auditions and asked to leave several improvisational acting classes by fellow students who accused her of being a sellout.”