As trivial and ridiculous as it can sometimes be, reality TV involves real people who are just as human and fallible as the rest of us. We were reminded of that on Sept. 11, when Murder in Small Town X‘s Angel Juarbe, a New York City firefighter, was one of the thousands killed; his funeral is today.
Seven years ago this Nov. 11, the day after the final episode of The Real World: San Francisco aired, cast member Pedro Zamora died from complications due to AIDS. On World AIDS Day, which hundreds of bloggers are using to reflect upon AIDS’ effect on every one of us, a few links related to Pedro, who has become nearly synonymous with education about this nondiscriminatory epidemic:
- unofficial Pedro Zamora center
- Pedro’s square of the AIDS Quilt
- Pedro Zamora Youth HIV Program
- Pedro Zamora Public Policy Fellowship
- fellow cast member Judd Winick’s graphic novel Pedro and Me: Friendship, Loss, and What I Learned