FOX’s hybrid series Murder in Small Town X debuts tonight.
Starting tonight, FOX’s eight-week series Murder in Small Town X will follow a group of 10 (real) people trying to figure out who committed a (fictional) murder in a town full of (fictional and real) people, with suspects played by 15 actors who the contestants apparently can’t tell apart from the town’s actual residents. The winner gets $250,000 and a Jeep Liberty. The show debuts tonight at either 9 ET (according to FOX’s site and TV Guide) or 8:30 ET (according to some reports). Mixed critical reaction and news from around the country:
- “reality, meet fiction.”
- critic: “…if I had to endure 10 more minutes I’d kill myself.”
- “feature[s] real people without feeling the need to terrify, threaten or exploit them.”
- a “questionable unscripted epic”
- creator: “It’s like nothing you’ve seen before.”
- “Once again, the reality of reality TV seems less than genuine.”
- “The producers get in the way of the fun.”
- town where the show was filmed is “looking forward” to the show
- parents of host and lead investigator–and real life officer–are proud of him.