ABC’s summertime mini golf competition Holey Moley will be back for at least two more seasons, while its producers are now adapting the classic 1980s video game Frogger into a reality competition.
In my interview with new-ish Magical Elves CEOs Jo Sharon and Casey Kriley, they talked about their vision for the company, developing shows like Netflix’s Nailed It and Best Leftovers Ever, and what TV networks want production companies to pitch to them.
This week’s dozen reality TV premieres include Tim Allen and Richard Karn’s new competition Assembly Required and the return of HGTV Design Star—though it won’t be on HGTV.
Survivor: The Australian Outback episode 4 may be best known for Michael Skupin’s pig slaughter, which is quite graphic, but it also has a Tribal Council first, and a surprising amount of strategy talk at camp.
What reality TV stars have won two or more different reality TV competitions? And will The Amazing Race creators’ new competition Race fo the Center of the Earth air in Canada?
A story from Real World San Francisco—involving Cory, Mohammed, Pedro, Sean, Pam, and Judd—is at the center of this excerpt from Amanda Ann Klein’s new book Millennials Killed the Video Star: MTV’s Transition to Reality Programming.
CuriosityStream promises “an extensive and unrivaled library of films and series that dives deep into nature, history, science, travel and every category of the factual genre.” But there are no shows about LGBTQIA+ people or issues. I asked its executives about that.
Other critics’ takes on reality TV
- Kevin Fallon on how Tamron Hall’s interview with “admitted sexual predator Sherry Pie became a meditation on scandal”
- Daniel D’Addario on How American Idol used Claudia Conway
- Robert Daniels says “FX’s Hip Hop Uncovered rambles without saying much about the genre”
- Sarah D. Bunting on Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel and its “new take on the genre”
News from around the web
- America’s Got Talent season 1 semifinalist David Maas, half of the “Quick Change” act, has died
- Bravo’s Winter House is being filmed with Summer House and Southern Charm cast
- “I had a massive parasite the whole time I was on” Bachelor Ben Higgins said
- Hilary Farr is getting her own HGTV series, in addition to Love It Or List It
- Ryan Seacrest won’t host E!’s red carpet coverage any more
- Worst Cooks in America season 20 winner Ariel Robinson was arrested and “charged with homicide by child abuse” of a three-year-old
Survivor’s Stephen Fishbach published a short story about, as he described it, “a has-been reality TV contestant at a reality TV charity event.” You can read it on Kindle or in the literary magazine One Story.