CBS confirmed TAR33 is returning during the 2021-2022 season, and The Amazing Race 33 now appears to be filming, with stops in places including Switzerland and Greece.
On Survivor 41’s premiere, “A New Era,” some changes worked and some didn’t; others brought us closer to season one and some took us even farther away. And then there was Jeff Probst’s handling of “Come on in, guys.”
Alter Ego, Fox’s new reality competition, uses motion capture technology to allow contestants to perform as digital characters, but has an insufferable format and no reason for existing.
Fall reality TV is starting this week, and what’s ahead ranges from Dancing with the Stars to Masked Singer, Alter Ego to Legends of the Hidden Temple. Here are the shows I’m most looking forward to.
For Netflix’s reality TV competition Metal Shop Masters, someone took Blown Away, copied and pasted it, changed some details, and hoped we wouldn’t notice.
CBS has dumped its plans to air a five-episode competition reality show featuring activists and hosted by Usher, Priyanka Chopra Jonas, and Julianne Hough. The show, called The Activist, received a lot of criticism for its format.
The 2021 TCA Award winners have been announced, and the Television Critics Association’s honorees include Ted Lasso, Michaela Coel, Jean Smart, The Golden Girls, and two reality TV shows that tied in the category.
recent reality TV reviews
Other critics’ takes on reality TV
- Richard Brody’s list of “62 Films That Shaped the Art of Documentary Filmmaking”
- Michael Ordoña on The Challenge and its real-life drama
- Daniel D’Addario’s review of Paris Hilton’s new Netflix show
- Melanie McFarland on how HBO Max’s cheeky and addictive FBoy Island is calling out reality dating shows
- Emily Yahr on how Rachel Lindsay’s Bachelor revelations “could lead to meaningful change”
- Brittany Luse asks, “Why Am I Watching Married At First Sight Instead of Planning My Wedding?”
- Kate Aurthur on the Erika Jayne and Tom Girardi doc The Housewife and the Hustler
- Alissa Wilkinson on Mark Wahlberg’s new reality show
- Caroline Framke on David Attenborough as “Nature’s Voice of Reason”
- Margaret Lyons on “cheesy documentary reenactments”
- Nina Metz on documentary series’ unnecessary bloat
- Helen Rosner on Stanley Tucci and Searching for Italy
News from around the web
- Fboy Island has been renewed for a second season
- The Real Housewives of Dallas is not returning next year
- Netflix renewed a bunch of shows, including The Circle for two more seasons
- Top Chef Portland winner Gabe Erales posted an apology after previously admitting to following an affair with “discriminatory” actions
- Dee Bradley Baker is returning to voice Olmec on The CW’s Legends of the Hidden Temple. (Here’s a short documentary on his voiceover work.)
Frankie Lons, Keyshia Cole’s mother and co-star four BET series, died from an overdose on her birthday. She was on Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew’s fourth season.
Katie Thurston said Bachelorette producers did not previously know about the sexual assault she disclosed during filming: “I do think it surprised producers, because they did not know and those are the things they want to know going into this.”