Before Quibi shut down, it announced that it would reboot Nickelodeon’s Legends of the Hidden Temple. Now The CW has rescued the show, which will be filming this summer in Los Angeles.
New seasons of Shahs of Sunset, The Hills: New Beginnings, Little People, Big World, and Growing Up Hip Hop are among this week’s unscripted TV premieres.
This collection of my Survivor Borneo recaps explores the strategy, challenges, and events of CBS’s Survivor season one, which introduced us to Richard Hatch, Sue Hawk, Rudy Boesch, Kelly Wiglesworth, Gervase Peterson, Colleen Haskell, and the other players in a game that changed television forever.
This collection of my Survivor: The Australian Outback recaps explores the strategy, challenges, and events of CBS’s Survivor season two, which introduced us to Tina Wesson, Colby Donaldson, Jerri Manthey, Elisabeth Filarski, Amber Brkich, Mike Skupin, Rodger Bingham, Alicia Calaway, Kimmi Kappenberg, and other members of the Ogakor and Kucha tribes.
The finale of Survivor: The Australian Outback starts with Tina, Colby, and Keith competing in one final challenge, and doing a lot of reflecting, which precedes a lot of other padding. Still, it’s a great conclusion to a strong second season of Survivor.
Making the Cut season 2 is coming this summer, and Amazon Studios has announced both the premiere date the contestants who will be competing this season. Alas, there will be fewer contestants and episodes than last season.
Why is Paramount+ missing seasons of MTV’s The Real World and The Challenge? Should that plus be a minus? What’s going on with the former CBS All Access and its seemingly random collection of episodes and seasons of reality TV?
Other critics’ takes on reality TV
- Sarah D. Bunting on Hulu’s Sasquatch
- Dan Fienberg on Oscar-winning documentary My Octopus Teacher: “a true embarrassment that this is the kind of dreck the Academy put in the documentary field”
- Alissa Wilkinson on Mark Wahlberg’s new reality show
- Caroline Framke on David Attenborough as “Nature’s Voice of Reason”
- Margaret Lyons on “cheesy documentary reenactments”
- Nina Metz on documentary series’ unnecessary bloat
- Helen Rosner on Stanley Tucci and Searching for Italy
- Melanie McFarland on Marriage or Morgage and its “bad decisions”
- Helen Rosner on “the timeless fantasy of Stanley Tucci eating Italian food”
- Caroline Framke on “How Hollywood is complicit in the violence against Asians in America”
- Josef Adalian on Paramount+’s nostalgia strategy
- David Ansen on the “groundbreaking documentary movies” of the past year
- Robert Daniels says “FX’s Hip Hop Uncovered rambles without saying much about the genre”
- Sarah D. Bunting on Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel and its “new take on the genre”
News from around the web
- Matt James and Rachael Kirkconnell are back together
- Britney Spears on the documentaries about her: “Why highlight the most negative and traumatizing times in my life from forever ago?”
- Former TLC star Josh Duggar was “indicted on charges of receiving and possessing child pornography”
- Why music licenses are such a problem in the streaming era
- A new trend in documentary filmmaking
- Colton Underwood backlash brews over rumored Netflix series, with 20,000 opposing it
- RuPaul’s Drag Race “contestants are spending anywhere from $4,000 on the low end to upwards of $20,000 on the higher end” just to compete on the show
- Serena Williams is filming a series for Amazon “that follows her in both her professional and personal life”
- Kids will create escape rooms on one of two new kid-focused Peacock reality shows
- Colton Underwood just came out and is already filming a Netflix reality series
- More than 130 documentary filmmakers wrote a letter PBS’s CEO about its “commitment to diversity” and over-reliance on Ken Burns. Burns said he supports their efforts.
- Jen Shah was arrested while filming Real Housewives of Salt Lake City and charged “with conspiracy to commit wire fraud in connection with telemarketing and conspiracy to commit money laundering”
- Drop the Mic producer Jensen Karp went viral last week for his Cinnamon Toast Crunch tweets—and then came the stories of abuse, including on the show
- The DGA Award-nominated reality TV directors
- World of Dance was cancelled by NBC
- Dr. Tiffany Moon on preparing for The Real Housewives of Dallas—and why it “was so toxic to me”
- Guy Fieri’s comfort-food reality show is MTV’s Ridiculousness. That and other insights in this interview.
- Bling Empire will return for a second season and Selling Sunset has been renewed for two more seasons, Netflix announced
- Rachel Lindsay Deletes Instagram Following Harassment From Bachelor Nation
- BBCAN removed houseguest Ethan before the game started
- Hilary Farr is getting her own HGTV series, in addition to Love It Or List It