Here are some of the Mythbusters props that will be sold as part of an auction off to benefit the Grant Imahara STEAM Foundation, which was created last yea to continue his work.
In The Mole 2’s second episode, the players have to wear silly costumes and catch a train to St. Moritz and gamble with the money from the pot. But there’s a lot more deception and manipulation that happens.
The Mole season 2 relocated to Switzerland and starts off on a very different note than season 1, culminating in the emotional destruction of players’ property.
Behind the Music and Cesar Millan’s return to TV and a Gold Rush spin-off: this week’s reality TV premieres
Premiering this week are new Gold Rush and Celebrity IOU spin-offs, a new dating competition (Fboy Island) and a check-in on an old show (Love is Blind), and a lot more.
Where exactly is the house that’s being used for CBS’s Love Island season 3? It’s not a hotel, but private property that was previously used by MTV for Ex on the Beach season 1.
The Surreal Life is returning for season 7 on VH1 with eight celebrity cast members, most of whom you’ll probably recognize from other celebrity reality shows. You might also recognize this list of 24 shows that were spin-offs of The Surreal Life.
Answers to two reader questions: one about Holey Moley’s new biography title cards that have stats on each player, and another about why Netflix only has the first two Mole seasons and not the two Celebrity seasons.
Other critics’ takes on reality TV
- Emily Yahr on how Rachel Lindsay’s Bachelor revelations “could lead to meaningful change”
- Brittany Luse asks, “Why Am I Watching Married At First Sight Instead of Planning My Wedding?”
- Kate Aurthur on the Erika Jayne and Tom Girardi doc The Housewife and the Hustler
- Shamira Ibrahim on The Real Housewives of Atlanta Bolo leak
- Sarah D. Bunting on Hulu’s Sasquatch
- Dan Fienberg on Oscar-winning documentary My Octopus Teacher: “a true embarrassment that this is the kind of dreck the Academy put in the documentary field”
- Alissa Wilkinson on Mark Wahlberg’s new reality show
- Caroline Framke on David Attenborough as “Nature’s Voice of Reason”
- Margaret Lyons on “cheesy documentary reenactments”
- Nina Metz on documentary series’ unnecessary bloat
- Helen Rosner on Stanley Tucci and Searching for Italy
- Melanie McFarland on Marriage or Morgage and its “bad decisions”
- Caroline Framke on “How Hollywood is complicit in the violence against Asians in America”
- Josef Adalian on Paramount+’s nostalgia strategy
- David Ansen on the “groundbreaking documentary movies” of the past year
News from around the web
- Top Chef Portland winner Gabe Erales posted an apology after previously admitting to following an affair with “discriminatory” actions
- Dee Bradley Baker is returning to voice Olmec on The CW’s Legends of the Hidden Temple. (Here’s a short documentary on his voiceover work.)
Frankie Lons, Keyshia Cole’s mother and co-star four BET series, died from an overdose on her birthday. She was on Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew’s fourth season.
Katie Thurston said Bachelorette producers did not previously know about the sexual assault she disclosed during filming: “I do think it surprised producers, because they did not know and those are the things they want to know going into this.”
- A Round with Tiger: Celebrity Playing Lessons, the reality show Tiger Woods was filming when he had his car accident, is now streaming on Golf Digest’s website
- Kendra Wilkinson is getting her own Discovery+ real estate series, Kendra Sells Hollywood
- 50 Cent is developing Unwrapped, which he described as “Hip Hop’s American idol”
- A new USA show will follow NASCAR drivers
- Stacey McKenzie won’t judge Canada’s Drag Race season 2
- Peacock has ordered Pride & Prejudice: An Experiment in Romance, which will take place in “a Regency-style England … castle on the countryside” and is already being compared to Bridgerton.
- Hoarders Matt Paxton’s great new show was nominated for a daytime Emmy. Several Netflix shows, such as this one, were also nominated, which is curious, because I didn’t realize Netflix had day parts.
- COPS creator John Langley, 78, died of a heart attack while racing in Mexico.
- Allison Mack was sentenced to three years in prison for her role in the NXIVM cult, a horror show that was the subject of two great documentary series last fall.
- Are the celebrities on Celebrity Dating Game actually looking for love? Here’s David Koechner’s answer
- Couples Therapy has been renewed for season 3, which will be split into two parts
- How The Real Housewives glam arms race gets its cast into hot water
- Rachel Lindsay talks about The Bachelor franchise and its fans
- A history of Spike’s Pros vs. Joes, which the creators would like to reboot
- MTV renewed The Challenge for season 37; it’s filming in Croatia
- HBO Max renewed Legendary for season 3
- A Cultural History of TV Dating Shows
- Love Island UK executive says “we want to encourage greater inclusivity and diversity” but having gay islanders is a “logistical difficulty”
- Bachelor in Paradise will rotate through celebrity comedians as hosts instead of Chris Harrison
- Judge Judy is ending after 25 seasons, but Judith Sheindlin says her new show will be the same: “I do what I do”
- The 2020-2021 TV ratings have The Masked Singer tied for the #1 non-sports show
- The Jeopardy! guest hosts (so far) ranked by ratings
- In Australia, “Bachelorette Brooke Blurton makes television history as the show’s first Indigenous, bisexual star”. Do better, ABC!
- Mark “The Beast” Labbett is returning to The Chase for its second season on ABC.
- Top Chef Family Style is back in production after its crew went on strike; they now have a union contract
- HGTV is bringing back Cash in the Attic
- How much does an HGTV host get per episode? $3,500 for the host of Windy City Rehab, who’s suing the show for $2.2 million.
- The Real Housewives of Dallas star Dr. Tiffany Moon is fighting back against racist bullying from her co-star’s family
- Are You The One? season 5 cast members say the show was rigged by producers
- American Idol finalist Caleb Kennedy is out as a result of a “racist social media post”
- Matt James and Rachael Kirkconnell are back together even though they split after The Bachelor
- Britney Spears on the documentaries about her: “Why highlight the most negative and traumatizing times in my life from forever ago?”
- Former TLC star Josh Duggar was “indicted on charges of receiving and possessing child pornography”
- Why music licenses are such a problem in the streaming era
- A new trend in documentary filmmaking
- RuPaul’s Drag Race “contestants are spending anywhere from $4,000 on the low end to upwards of $20,000 on the higher end” just to compete on the show