Lifetime sues to get exclusive rights to Runway, says it can air the show in December
Another day, another Project Runway 6-related lawsuit. This time, Lifetime has filed suit, asking a court to give it the exclusive rights to the series—and insisting it can air the new season in December. That’s despite the fact that the network previously delayed the debut to early 2009.
Tuesday, Lifetime “filed suit in Manhattan federal court against NBC Universal and Bravo Media, claiming Lifetime holds the copyrights to the high-rated reality TV show through its deal this year with the show’s producer, the Weinstein Co.,” according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The network says it “paid a $20 million advance to TWC for ‘Runway’ and has expended resources and money to launch the next cycle of the show, including committing to advertisers and viewers. The show, it claims, is ready to air in December, with all but two episodes filmed for the sixth cycle,” the paper reports.
Producers expect to film those two episodes—the two-part finale—during Fashion Week this spring. That’s according to a New York Times article that mostly summarizes what we already know: the show is in legal limbo and may not air until next summer at the earliest.