Top 50 American Idol 7 contestants can audition for season eight unless they made the top 24
For its eighth season, American Idol will let a greater number of rejects from last season return than from previous seasons.
“Contestants from the Top 50 of Season 7 who did not make the cut for that Season’s Top 24 are eligible to try out again for Season 8,” according to MJ’s American Idol blog. That isn’t the case for people who made it to that level in seasons other than American Idol 7, however.
The show’s new official rules give the details, explaining eligibility like this:
You are ineligible to participate if you progressed in any previous season of American Idol to any of the following levels:
- Season 1 - top 30 contestants
- Season 2 - top 32 contestants
- Season 3 - top 36 contestants
- Season 4 - top 44 contestants
- Season 5 - top 44 contestants
- Season 6 - top 40 contestants
- Season 7 - top 24 contestants