Kelly Clarkson leads a (surprising group of) American Idol alumni in radio airplay
Among American Idol alumni, first-season winner Kelly Clarkson has had the most radio airplay over the past seven years, from 2002 to 2009. That’s not surprising, considering she’s one of the few true idols to come form the show.
Every winner is on the list with the exception of Kris Allen (whose record was just released, so it’s not unsurprising he’s not yet on the same list as people who’ve had multiple records over many years) and Taylor Hicks (who’s Taylor Hicks). But a few others may be surprising, like season two’s Josh Gracin, who came in fourth place and hasn’t exactly been generating headlines, but he’s gotten more airplay than two winners, David Cook and Ruben Studdard.
Here are the top 10, according to Mediabase, as compiled by The New York Daily News:
- Kelly Clarkson (season one winner): 3,786,731
- Daughtry (season five finalist): 2,012,389
- Carrie Underwood (season four winner): 1,675,041
- Jordin Sparks (season six winner): 1,042,670
- Fantasia (season three winner): 604,006
- Josh Gracin (season two finalist): 479,204
- David Cook (season seven winner), 464,435
- Ruben Studdard (season two winner): 346,366
- Elliott Yamin (season five finalist): 340,339
- Jennifer Hudson (season three finalist): 296,150