Joey Kovar, who appeared on The Real World Hollywood and Celebrity Rehab, died this morning. He was 29, and the fourth Celebrity Rehab cast member to die.
TMZ reports that he “was discovered by a female friend early this morning who noticed blood coming out of Joey’s ears and nose,” and “family members believe drugs are to blame.”
Joey was active on Twitter, posting positive messages. When he was on Celebrity Rehab, VH1 noted that he “had been abusing massive amounts of alcohol, cocaine, ecstasy, meth and, as part of his bodybuilding, steroids.”
Update: Joey’s brother, David Kovar, said Joey had been sober for six months and family members do not think it was an overdose. He told the Chicago Tribune, “Everyone is in shock right now. He seemed fine, he was happier and he was doing better. … That is not what anyone is suspecting, my brother was doing very well. Everything was going very well. The very, very last thing that our family is suspecting is drugs.” An autopsy will be performed Saturday.
Update, Aug. 18: The Chicago Tribune reports that the ” autopsy conducted on Saturday was inconclusive and the cause of death was pending toxicological test results.” Earlier, TMZ insisted that mixing “Viagra, cocaine and alcohol” may have killed him, and has details about his final night.