Two contestants gone after Biggest Loser cast walks out, protesting twist

Contestants on The Biggest Loser 13, the “No Excuses” season currently airing, walked off the set this week in protest of the show’s latest twist, and although production has resumed, it is without two of the contestants. Meanwhile, trainer Bob Harper has called the cast, with four exceptions, “nasty” people who are “bullies.”

Earlier this week, TMZ reported that “nearly all of the remaining contestants have walked off the show and are threatening to quit after learning about a secret ‘twist'” that would allow eliminated contestants to return. In a follow-up report, the site said production resumed after two people who walked out didn’t return, although it isn’t clear if that was by their own choice or if they were removed.

The walk-out seems to coincide with what viewers who are still watching the NBC show describe as a tonal shift this season, which began with contestants being forced to compete against their loved ones who they thought they were partnering with. The Los Angeles Times summarizes the twists that the contestants had already experienced.

Bob Harper told Radar that the contestants this season are “bullies,” saying, “I’m going to regret this. Emily, Cassandra, Chism, I love them they’re really fantastic. Buddy, Buddy’s a really sweet guy. The rest of them, they’re nasty!'”

Surprisingly, man not eaten alive on Eaten Alive

Eaten Alive

Discovery Channel’s happy family holiday special Eaten Alive aired Sunday, rewarding viewers for their two full hours of viewing by ensuring that they spent quality time in the company of others instead of wasting that time doing something else that might not have been as satisfying, such as buying things that have labels which accurately reflect their contents.


Winter 2015 reality TV debut schedule

winter 2015 reality TV schedule

Mark your calendars with all these upcoming reality TV show debuts, including Celebrity Apprentice, The Bachelor, and another season of MasterChef Junior, all of which kick off in early January.

There are also 20+ shows debuting in December--including the one-off return of The Sing Off. No winter break for reality TV.

about the writer

Andy Dehnart is a journalist who has covered reality television for more than 15 years and created reality blurred in 2000. A member of the Television Critics Association, his writing and criticism about television, culture, and media has appeared on NPR and in Playboy, Buzzfeed, and many other publications. Andy, 36, also directs the journalism program at Stetson University in Florida, where he teaches creative nonfiction and journalism. He has an M.F.A. in nonfiction writing and literature from Bennington College. More about reality blurred and Andy.