Jason Mesnick selected as 13th Bachelor

The Bachelor 13 didn’t have to look far to find its bachelor: 32-year-old single dad Jason Mesnick, who was rejected during The Bachelorette 4‘s finale, will search for love on the series. He becomes the second bachelor star who was previously rejected on the series (Bob Guiney was the first), while three of the four bachelorettes were previous-season rejects.

Jason was rejected/humiliated when he took it upon himself to propose to DeAnna even though a) it was her show, and b) he had no idea how she felt about him. That led her to say “no” as his knee hit the ground. In its announcement of his selection as the new bachelor, ABC overstates the case a little, and says that Jason’s “popularity seemed to vault even higher when he lost out to Jesse Csincsak — who is now engaged to Pappas — as fans rushed to e-mail him in droves, in total sympathy to his plight.”

Those pathetic, sad fans who confused his pain with their own, were left “[b]rokenhearted and wondering how he could have misjudged DeAnna’s intentions” and “flocked to support him, helping him heal from his very public dismissal.” Yeah, right.

ABC is now casting women who want to date him, and the show will debut in January, after skipping the fall season. In July, ABC’s president Steve McPherson said producers were “looking for a another Bachelor, and we’ll see how that goes,” noting that “casting on that show is critical” and ABC does not “need it on the fall schedule.”

Only a few weeks ago, Jason said he hadn’t been asked to do the show, and was skeptical that he’d be chosen. “All I know is it seems to me that all the guys that they’ve asked — I’m just a single dad from Seattle that is figuring my side out. And the other guys, they’ve had the Firestone who owns the vineyards, and they’ve had professional football players, and I don’t see how that’s me at all,” he told the Seattle Times.

However, in July, host Chris Harrison told film.com that the show “would be bona fide idiots not to consider him for the show. He’s on my short list.” Harrison also suggested that “[Jason’s son] Ty would have to take center stage,” and the show could tape in Seattle.

Jason Hopes the “Third Time is the Charm” [ABC]
“Bachelorette” contestant Jason Mesnick: The nice guy who didn’t finish last [Seattle Times]
TV Addict Goes To Hollywood [film.com]

Surprisingly, man not eaten alive on Eaten Alive

Eaten Alive

Discovery Channel’s happy family holiday special Eaten Alive aired Sunday, rewarding viewers for their two full hours of viewing by ensuring that they spent quality time in the company of others instead of wasting that time doing something else that might not have been as satisfying, such as buying things that have labels which accurately reflect their contents.


Winter 2015 reality TV debut schedule

winter 2015 reality TV schedule

Mark your calendars with all these upcoming reality TV show debuts, including Celebrity Apprentice, The Bachelor, and another season of MasterChef Junior, all of which kick off in early January.

There are also 20+ shows debuting in December--including the one-off return of The Sing Off. No winter break for reality TV.

about the writer

Andy Dehnart is a journalist who has covered reality television for more than 15 years and created reality blurred in 2000. A member of the Television Critics Association, his writing and criticism about television, culture, and media has appeared on NPR and in Playboy, Buzzfeed, and many other publications. Andy, 36, also directs the journalism program at Stetson University in Florida, where he teaches creative nonfiction and journalism. He has an M.F.A. in nonfiction writing and literature from Bennington College. More about reality blurred and Andy.