Late last week, Donald Trump became everything he’s railed against for six seasons on The Apprentice when he quit the show. Here, for example, is a line from Yahoo’s recap of an episode this past season:
Incredulous, Trump repeated a quote that’s almost his mantra in his seminars and best-selling books: “Never give up, never quit.”
He did exactly that last week, although his statement said he was just “moving on from ‘The Apprentice,’” as if that excuse would fly in the boardroom.
Anyway, NBC has finally responded to his statement by saying that there’s a possibility the show might return. “No decision has been made on an additional cycle (of the series) at this time,” a spokesperson told The Hollywood Reporter.
The network “has a deadline of June 1 to decide whether to move forward with another installment,” according to the paper, which notes that there are rumors “Trump has been talking about a potential project with executives at News Corp.’s Fox Business Channel.”
As to Mark Burnett, who created and executive produced the show, a representative for him told The Hollywood Reporter that “Donald Trump is a television icon, and ‘The Apprentice’ changed the landscape of reality television and remains a very strong ratings performer. … Mr. Burnett and Mr. Trump will be in business together again very soon. Stay tuned.”