As of Sunday, Kelly Clarkson’s songs have been played on radio stations 3,301,282 times, according to a new report from Mediabase, which tracks more than 1,800 radio stations. Overall, American Idol “is now responsible for generating more than six million radio spins,” Mediabase says, meaning Kelly contributed more than half of those.
That makes the first-season winner the undisputed American Idol leader on the radio, which makes sense because she is the most mainstream and poppy of all the winners so far. In second place is Carrie Underwood, who’s had 725,441 spins. In third place is the highest-ranked non-winner: Josh Gracin. Perhaps the most surprising entrant on the list is #9 Mario Vazquez, who dropped out of the show (and was just sued for sexually harassing a PA).
When it comes to the most-played songs, Kelly has seven of the top 10, with Josh Gracin coming in at number seven, and Carrie Underwood holding the number eight and 10 spots.
Here’s the full play chart from a Mediabase press release, which also includes the top-10 song list:
- Kelly Clarkson, Season One Winner, 3,301,282 spins
- Carrie Underwood, Season Four Winner, 725,441 spins
- Josh Gracin, Season Three Finalist, 582,285 spins
- Fantasia Barrino, Season Three Winner, 374,081 spins
- Ruben Studdard, Season Two Winner, 293,588 spins
- Clay Aiken, Season Two Runner-Up, 224,960 spins
- Kimberley Locke, Season Two Finalist, 210,428 spins
- Chris Daughtry, Season Five Finalist, 146,714 spins
- Mario Vazquez, Season Five Contestant, 123,432 spins
- Bo Bice, Season Four Runner-Up, 115,702 spins