Kelly Clarkson will allow her songs to be used on Idol

Kelly Clarkson’s songs will be used on American Idol 5 after all.

Kelly’s Sony BMG spokesman Roger Widynowski said yesterday that “Kelly Clarkson was happy to hear her song ‘Since You’ve Been Gone’ on America Idol last night. As far as she is concerned, there is no conflict between her and the TV show. She intended all along to license additional material to the show and will do so when asked and within reason.” And Kelly’s manager, Jeff Rabhan, tells People that they “are negotiating for a fair-market value.”

However, on Tuesday, the same BMG spokesperson said that Kelly wasn’t allowing any of her songs to be used anywhere, anytime. “It has nothing to do with ‘Idol,'” Roger Widynowski said. Oddly, most versions of the AP’s story from yesterday have been updated and now exclude that quotation and information, although E! includes both in their story.

Last week, the show’s executive producer revealed that Kelly hadn’t cleared her songs to be used during the fifth season. Simon Cowell ripped into her at the winter press tour Tuesday, saying,

“No matter how talented Kelly Clarkson is, she would not be in the position she’s in now without winning this show. And forget the way she feels about us or the producers or anybody else, or the terrible songwriters she alleges she was with which sold her millions of records. It’s the public who bothered to pick up the phone to vote for her. If she refuses to give songs to be used on the show, it’s like saying to every person who voted for you, ‘you know what? Thank you. I’m not interested in you anymore.'”

From Simon to Kelly [E! Online]
Kelly Clarkson Denies Fight Over Songs [People]
Kelly Clarkson allows ‘Idol’ to use her songs [AP]
Clarkson deals with ‘American Idol’ past [AP]

Why Dick Donato left Big Brother 13

Dick Donato

The Big Brother villain known as "Evel Dick" has finally revealed why he left the show during its 13th season: he learned he was HIV positive.


More Married at First Sight

Married at First Sight couples

The couples who stayed together after being Married at First Sight--Jason Carrion and Cortney Hendrix, and Doug Hehner and Jamie Otis--are now being followed by cameras for a brand-new reality series.

about the writer

Andy Dehnart is a journalist who has covered reality television for more than 15 years and created reality blurred in 2000. A member of the Television Critics Association, his writing and criticism about television, culture, and media has appeared on NPR and in Playboy, Buzzfeed, and many other publications. Andy, 36, also directs the journalism program at Stetson University in Florida, where he teaches creative nonfiction and journalism. He has an M.F.A. in nonfiction writing and literature from Bennington College. More about reality blurred and Andy.