The Simple Life debuts tonight.
Months of anticipation climaxes tonight, although not in night vision, as FOX debuts The Simple Life tonight at 8:30 p.m. ET. The second episode airs tomorrow night at 8:30. Produced by Mary-Ellis Bunim and Jonathan Murray, the team behind The Real World, the show follows Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie as they terrorize a small town in Arkansas (one woman says “the girls ran around town, the way they were dressed and the way they acted” was “not a good influence on” local boys). The show even wrapped early because the locals “loathed” the girls. Loathing from locals equals love from critics, whose orgy of love for the show led FOX to delay the premiere. As of right now, FOX doesn’t have much love for Paris, who’s apparently hiding (and flying coach); her “New York-based publicist, Dan Klores, has angered Fox officials by abruptly canceling all of her scheduled appearances,” according to The Hollywood Reporter. Still, her sex tape is likely help the show, although Nicole’s heroin bust might not generate as much buzz. Here’s a round-up of reviews from critics and others:
- “two of the dumbest, most vacuous blondes to show on TV since Anna Nicole Smith was pronounced brain dead.”
- it’s edited to get the most laughs out of their gaffes [but] its producers insist it’s not cruel.
- “almost too perfect to go wrong” and “a one-note joke, but it’s a good one.”
- “Sloppy editing and lack of connection between scenes add up to a smug assumption that the audience would be too starry-eyed to notice.”
- “ridiculously contrived situations and two come-hither stars”
- “the producers have really captured a feeling of unscripted reality.”
- “a lighthearted mockery of the rich”
- “mockery is overt and good-natured”
- “outrageously entertaining”
- “even the several scenes that feel staged carry some semblance of reality.”
- “What it turns out to be is stupid.”
- “Stupid is funny.”